Servings 4-6 | Prep Time 15 min | Total Time 2 hour 15 min
Bold, colorful, and spicy – this butterflied chicken fresh off the grill will bring the heat to your weeknight dinner or weekend cook out. Pair with fresh, tropical fruit and rice and feel the heat of the Caribbean.
- 1.8-2kg Chicken, fresh, preferably organic
- 5 Tbsp Spicy Caribbean Chicken Rub
- 120ml Olive Oil
- To butterfly the chicken: Pat the room tempered chicken dry with paper towels and turn the chicken breast-side down on the board. Using strong kitchen scissors start at the tail and cut up each side of the backbone and cut the backbone out. Turn chicken breast side up and press down onto the breastbone until you hear a snap. Flatten out the chicken with a meat hammer.
- Massage both sides of the chicken with Spicy Caribbean Chicken Rub. Let rest for at least 1h before preparation.
- Preheat oven or BBQ to 200 ° C
- Place the chicken in a roasting pan breast side down drizzled with olive oil.
- Roast for 1 hour in the oven or BBQ until the chicken’s core temperature reads 80 ° C.
- When cooked, remove and cover with foil to rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut into pieces or shred off the bone for juicy and bold chicken that packs a punch.
Brine Before Grilling to get a juicy chicken
Brining, simply submerges the chicken in a salt/sugar/spice – water solution before grilling. This prevents the chicken from overcooking on the grill and helps it get excellent grill marks. Brine over night before getting into the recipe.