Servings 12-14 | Prep Time 12 min | Total Time 1 hour 45 min
Tender on the inside, deliciously chewy on the outside, these freshly made New York-style bagels are perfect for your next brunch table. Onion and garlic flakes, coarse sea salt, and nutty sesame seeds lend a satisfyingly savory crunch to this breakfast classic
- 25 g Active Dry Yeast
- 200ml 3% Milk, warmed to 37 degrees Celsius
- 250ml Water, warmed to 37 degrees Celsius
- 50ml (45 g) Granulated Sugar
- 30g Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 660 g All-Purpose Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 6-12 Tbsp All American Bagel Seasoning (1/2-1 Tbsp per bagel, season with your heart)
- Place the yeast into a dough bowl, pour over the milk and gently whisk until the yeast has dissolved.
- Add water, sugar, butter, and wheat flour. Knead the dough for about 12 minutes. Add the salt and knead for a few more minutes until you have a firm, smooth dough. It’s okay if you need to add a bit more flour while needing – the dough needs to be very firm otherwise, the bagels will lose their shape.
- Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and leave to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Pick up the dough and knead it lightly on a floured board, careful not to knock out too much air. Divide the dough into 12-14 equal parts. First form round, smooth buns. Then, make the bun into a ring by inserting your finger into the center of each bun, and spin the bun around your finger. Tip: Make the hole in the center of the rings about 3 cm wide; the hole will get smaller as the rings rise.
- Place the rings on two baking paper-lined trays (6-7 per tray) and leave to rise until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 200 Celsius, and put 2-3 liters of water on the stove to boil. Once boiling, add the honey. Putting honey in the boiling water is the secret to a chewy crust on the bagel.
- When the rings have finished rising, put 2-3 rings at a time into the boiling water. Boil the rings for 1 minute on each side, 2 minutes total. Remove the rings with a slotted spoon and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle on All American Bagel Seasoning on the top while the bagels are still moist.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 20 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice in half and enjoy! Serve the perfect brunch bites with a spread of smoked salmon, cream cheese, red onions, and capers, or sandwich in a fried egg, crispy bacon, and melty cheese.
Make the hole in the center of the rings about the size of a quarter; the hole will get smaller as the rings rise
The surface becomes wonderfully chewy and tasty by having a good spoon of honey in the water when you boil the bagels.