MEZE – Roasted aubergine with Zhug Humus, Fried Pita bread triangles with Lamb Rub dip, Tabbouleh salad
Finger foods designed for nibbling while socializing is the perfect easy cooking and easygoing meal. Tapas, Meze, Mezze, all typical small dishes from the Mediterranean countries. “We find many names for those we love”.
Serve your guest a meze buffet of small dishes for leisure weekend mingle or start out your evening with individual finger foods or a nice selection of nibbles and dips.
Roasted aubergine with Zhug Humus
Zhug is a fiery Yemenite spice blend made with cardamom, cilantro, cloves, cumin, garlic, salt and chili. Yemen’s hot Zhug spice is perfect for sprinkling over food; it complements almost any dish from hummus to falafel. Zhug is often called the ketchup of the Middle East, where its added to almost any dish.
- 3 aubergine, medium size
- 4 cups of chickpeas, cooked
- 2 dl olive oil (half for preparing the aubergine, half for the hummus)
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp cumin grinded
- 2 tsp coriander grinded
- 3 tsp sea salt
- Zhug (pretty hot) for finishing
- 1 dl flat leaved parsley, chopped
- Heat up the oven to 200 °C.
- Half the aubergines, place them in an oven dish, drizzle aubergines with 1 dl olive oil and sprinkle with
- Bake the aubergines until well done, apx 40 min. Take out the aubergines from the oven and let cool at room temperature.
- Humus – Mix chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, coriander and 1 tsp of salt in a blender into a smooth cream. Add some water if the hummus is to thick.
- Put in a bowl.
- Place the roasted aubergines on a plate, spoon over the hummus and sprinkle olive oil and Zhug after taste. Decorate with chopped parsley.
Toasted pita bread triangles with Lamb Rub dip
- 4 pita bread, cut into triangles
- 4 tbsp olive oil for frying
- flake salt
- Cut pita bread into small triangles.
- Fry the pita triangles in a skillet with olive oil until they have a golden color.
- Sprinkle them with flake salt.
Lamb rub dip
- 3 dl fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Lamb Rub
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.
Spread the pita triangles on a serving plate and spoon over the Lamb rub dip.
- 30 sweet cherry tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 bunch of spring onions, cut into small pieces
- 1 cucumber, cored and cut into small cubes
- 1 large bunch of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Cut the tomatoes, onions, and cucumber into small parts. Chop the parsley.
- Mix all vegetables on a serving plate.
- Before serving sprinkle over lemon juice and olive oil and season with sea salt, pepper, and sumac.