Humus with Zhug
Zhug is a fiery, hot spice mixture of cardamom, coriander, cloves, cumin, garlic, salt and chili.
Yemen’s hot zhug mix is perfect to sprinkle over food; It complements almost any dish, from salads to vegan dishes, which you want to give an exotic touch taste. Try it over humus, falafel, soups or baked eggplants.
- 4 cups of chickpeas cooked
- 1 dl olive oil (save some oil for sprinkling over the humus)
- 2-3 tbls lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp cumin grinded
- 2 tsp coriander grinded
- Zhug (pretty hot)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender into a smooth cream.
- Put in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over olive oil and Zhug.
- Humus is a perfectly nutritious chickpea cream loaded with vitamin B and fiber. “Brain food”, good for focus and concentration.
- Humus can be served as a dip to meze, to falafel, a good bread or grilled chicken with tabouleh salad.
- VEGAN – Gratinate halved eggplants in the oven and humus on top, sprinkling with Zhug for a little heat.