Grilled Tomahawk Steak rubbed with Beef Rub and then perfectly char-grilled, so a deep crust is formed. The meat is generously marbled, there is a good amount of fat through the steak and when grilled, creates an incredibly tender and flavorful steak. The bone of the tomahawk steak delivers an intense flavor experience and is quite impressive to look at.
Serve the grilled steak with a green and zesty Chimichurri sauce.
Chimichurri is one of our most loved spice blends. It is a South and Central American sauce used for grilled meat. It originates from Argentina but is also used in Uruguay and in countries as far north as Nicaragua, Colombia and Mexico.
- 1,5 kg Tomahawk steak
- 3 tbsp Beef Rub
- Kosher salt
- Rub all sides of the steak with Beef Rub.
- Bring up the rubbed Tomahawk Steak to room temperature, apx 30 min.
- Ignite the charcoal in a Big Green Egg or other Kamado oven and heat, with a conveggtor for indirect preparation and a grid, to 125°C.
- Place the Tomahawk in a roasting rack and place in the kamado. Leave the Tomahawk to cook until 48 °C core temperature has been reached. Take out the steak.
- Heat the kamado to a temperature of 275°C and remove the conveggtor for indirect preparation.
- Place the Tomahawk steak on a cast iron grid and close the lid of the kamado.
- Turn the meat a quarter turn after approximately 1 minute and close the lid again. Flip the meat after another minute and repeat to create a lovely grill pattern on both sides. The meat shall have a core temperature of around 54°C when ready for medium/rare.
- Remove the Tomahawk steak, leave to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with salt.
- 2 tbsp Chimichurri
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- Stir all ingredients together and let rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle the sauce over the grilled sliced Tomahawk Steak and serve.
If you prefer a tasty compound butter to your steak, mix 1 tbsp of the Chimichurri sauce with 3 tbsp room temperature butter and let melt over the cut meat.